Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Miles/Mayfield I

I feel deprived.

I didn't get a computer until Christmas of 1999. I didn't get into e-fedding until late 2000, and even then, I didn't get to FW on a regular, continuous basis until last year.

I missed a lot of stuff before I finally got there. Some of it, I don't mind. But other things, it makes me sad.

Well, after reading Miles/Mayfield I, I can tell you one thing.

Having missed out on most of Jamar Nicholas' active days as a writer makes me damn-near suicidal.

More often than not, when I sit down to read a really long match, it takes me two or three readings for me to get it to sink in. It's not a function of the matchwriter most of the time. It's just really long matches are hard for me to wrap my brain around.

However, this match took me only one sitting to get through. It read so smoothly. It was almost like I was reading the words of God if He wrote e-fedding. Just stylistically, it was the best prose I've ever read.

Going to the content of the match, I'm guessing that this is going to be the match of the year. Just a hunch, seeing that everything in this match made sense and it was over the top violent and full of big spots. It was the complete match. Everything, from Mayfield's "To Do" list to the "coal mining accident" phase to Nixon running out and cat-fighting on Mystic to the end. It had moments. It had flow.

The only problem I can see with this match is that it totally writes like a blowoff match until the very end, when you see the heel Mayfield escape getting his comeuppance and capitalizing on a Miles miss. The finish works, but the match before it is just so over the top, you'd think it was the WrestleBowl main event, not an early season matchup.

Knowing that this is certainly not the last encounter, I'm afraid the genie's been let out of the bottle. Katz and JN have their work cut out for them to top this one.

Because it was a doozy.

Katz told me before I read it that I should be prepared to give it six stars. I wouldn't go that far. But I will say this. It was the best match I've read since I came back to e-fedding full time last year, and it's up there with Spoiler/Freakfish from MBE High Stakes '00 and Beast/Torment from ORIGINAL Vengeance as all-time matches.

No comments: