Saturday, April 01, 2006

NFW: Farewell to Seasons

From the mouth of Katz himself

Katz announced that NFW is ditching the seasonal chase-for-the-ULTRATITLE format after this season. The main reason is that it's too hard to keep up with that every "week" of the season, and I guess I really can't blame him. The important part is that the fed is staying alive, which is better than what was being hinted at around this time last year, when this second season began and Katz was hinting at NFW not continuing at all.

While I understand the decision, I can't help but feel disheartened at it. The season concept is probably the most original I've seen in my five-plus years of e-fedding. It pushed folks to book angles differenty, have different motivations. The right booking for NFW was non-traditional, and it wasn't predicated on people getting their heat back as much as it was people trying to get ahead in points and in the standings. It was great because of its execution, but a lot of that greatness was in the design, about how different it was.

But while I would rather have season three come about instead of the traditional fed format, I understand that someone would have to run it and put as much time and effort into it as Katz has over the last few years. It would be selfish of me to want to have it the way I like it and not want to put the work necessary into it. I can barely keep up with what I have on my plate now, so it would be nearly impossible for me to step in and help run NFW in seasonal format.

That's not to say I won't help when the change is made, because I will. And I will continue to handle, matchwrite and blog about NFW no matter how long it's in existance.

But that doesn't mean I'm not sad in seeing the Chase for the ULTRATITLE (in its format now) go.

I have had many a conversation about the future of the ULTRATITLE with Katz though, and without spoiling any plans he has thought up, I'd have to say it's interesting to say the least. From my understanding, it's almost like he has plans for a FW-centric interfed being dreamed up, which would be cool. So I guess even with these changes going down, something else good is on its way.

No comments: